Cryogenic/ Mechanical Engineer
Coquitlam, British Columbia
Cryogenic/Mechanical Engineers at Photonic apply a solid knowledge of cryogenics, engineering, and manufacturing principles to develop/integrate new solutions for our optical quantum processor. The successful candidate will participate in all stages of development, including requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, maintenance, and documentation. You will be an expert in the design and realization of cryogenic systems, comfortable working in a diverse, multi-disciplinary team of engineers, quantum physicists, software designers, and scientists.
Please include a cover letter with your resume (in one file) describing how you would be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
Photonic Inc Coquitlam, British Columbia
- Get in on the ground floor with a quantum startup company set to revolutionize computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can take risks while tackling cutting-edge challenges every day
- Inclusive and open company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits (including life insurance, extended health, dental, long term disability, and a flexible spending account), and potential upside
What we need you to do
- Develop high-performance cryogenic systems and components that meet the stringent requirements of quantum photonics.
- Integrate new components into our existing Quantum Architecture. Work on issues of cooling, thermal control, and integrating components/systems with other sub-systems.
- Support the development of the opto-mechanical, electro-optical optical components.
- Develop test procedures and help set up the required lab to characterize cryogenic components/systems. Analyze and measure components, subsystems, and system level performance.
- Troubleshoot the setups and systems and do root cause failure analysis.
- Confer with engineers or other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, or provide technical information. Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Source required components and work with relevant vendors.
- Conduct research that tests or analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, or performance of equipment, components, or systems.
- Evaluate designs with numerical simulations and comparison with test data.
- Document the results and present them to cross-functional teams.
- Oversee and develop required manufacturing processes.
What you bring to our team
- Post-secondary education (Bachelors, Masters or PhD) in Engineering, Physics, Optics or in relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with vacuum and cryogenic systems
- Background in cryogenic component design activities, including optical, mechanical and/or electrical engineering domains
- Knowledge of material properties and assembly techniques for cryogenic systems
- Outstanding teamwork skills
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
Exceptional candidates will have one or more of:
- Experience with CAD tools like Solidworks and Flotherm
- Experience with coding languages (e.g., MATLAB or Python)
- Experience in taking cryogenic systems from concept and design to assembly, prototyping and release
- Experience with vacuum or cryogenic measurement systems
- Experience troubleshooting complex experimental systems
- Experience with conventional machining techniques
- Experience working in a start-up environment
Photonic is designing the world’s first quantum processor in silicon. It would be awesome if you had some familiarity with quantum physics, mathematics, and programming, but we will ensure that team members will have the opportunity to learn about quantum computing as we grow.