Photonic Integrated Circuit (PIC) Design Engineer
Date of Job Posting
April 7, 2021
Coquitlam, British Columbia
The Photonic Integrated Circuit Design Engineer designs and optimizes photonic integrated circuits (PIC’s) and plays a key role in the development of many design flows. You will design first-of-their-kind photonic integrated circuits for implementing truly scalable quantum gate schema. The PIC Design Engineer is an expert in the design and simulation of silicon photonic integrated circuit components and systems. You will be comfortable working in a diverse, multi-disciplinary team of engineers, scientists, and other technical team members on our engineering and quantum teams.
Please include a cover letter with your resume outlining why you’d be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
While our first choice would be for you to work in the lower mainland of beautiful BC, we also have the opportunity for the right candidate to work remotely.
Photonic Coquitlam, British Columbia
- Get in on the ground floor with a quantum startup company set to revolutionize computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can take risks while tackling cutting-edge challenges everyday
- Inclusive and open company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits, and potential upside
What we need you to do
- Design and optimize silicon photonic integrated circuits (PIC’s)
- Propose and implement design solutions
- Design optical bench experiments for device characterization
- Evaluate design solutions with physics-based simulations and detailed comparison with test data
- Simulate and design waveguide devices such as arrayed waveguide gratings, switches, multiplexers, demultiplexers, and coherent receivers
- Layout photonic devices with common EDA
- Generate new software required to meet design and analysis goals
- Train all design team members on frameworks and practices that get applied
- Direct and/or conduct optical experiments as needed to support design efforts
- Conduct yield analysis to provide feedback for design optimization
- Present findings to cross-functional teams
- Work on issues of integration with silicon-based devices
- Support related teams including fabrication and testing
- Drive research and development in the silicon photonic space.
- Conduct numerical electromagnetic simulation of photonic devices
What you bring to our team
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Applied Science, Physics, Chemistry or another relevant discipline. Master’s or PhD degree in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or other relevant discipline is preferred.
- 5 years progressively responsible related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Deep expertise in designing and optimizing silicon photonic integrated circuits (PIC’s)
- Strong understanding of photonics and electronics
- Familiarity with cryogenic PIC component design and on-chip cryogenic detectors
- Proficiency in photonic layout with Luceda, Cadence, Mentor Graphics, or equivalent
- Proficiency in electromagnetic simulation with common tools, such as Lumerical, COMSOL or Photon Design
- Good knowledge of electromagnetic theory
- Proficiency in optical bench experiments with tools such as parameter analyzer, optical spectrum analyzer, laser source, etc.
- Knowledge of quantum computing systems, hardware, measurement techniques, and current practices
- Outstanding teamwork skills
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills