Chief Financial and Operating Officer
Sarah Boatman oversees the financial vision and operating strategies to drive Photonic’s sustainable growth. Known as an inspiring leader who builds inclusive teams, Sarah fosters a growth mindset in every organization she leads.
Prior to joining Photonic, Sarah was on the senior leadership team at Microsoft Studios in Vancouver as the Director of Business Development and Strategy. She led business and financial planning, business development opportunities, market research, strategic analysis, and business reviews, as well as managing teams responsible for consumer products licensing, community management, social media, creative services, and data analytics.
In 2009, Sarah joined Microsoft through the acquisition of BigPark, where she was the Chief Financial and Operating Officer. As CFO/COO of BigPark, Sarah was instrumental in the successful sale of the company and subsequent integration with Microsoft. Prior to joining BigPark, she was the Director, Financial Planning and Analysis for Electronic Arts.
Sarah is currently a board member for Swiftmerge Acquisition Corp. and Atira Property Management. She has also served on the board of directors for the UBC Investment Management Trust, Atira Women’s Resource Society, and the BC Premier’s Economic Council.
Sarah holds a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from McGill University, an MBA from Harvard Business School, and is a Chartered Professional Accountant of British Columbia.
At a Glance
- Strategy, finance, and business development expert with corporate and startup tech experience
- Co-founded Bang Networks, a San Francisco-based internet infrastructure company, after winning Harvard Business School’s New Ventures Competition and Dubilier Prize
- Loves it when a plan comes together and when resources align with opportunities
- Favorite activities include tennis, skiing, and building sandcastles on the beach with her kids
- Renowned for throwing a good party (especially for small children)
- Captain and quarterback for intramural flag-football team at McGill University